Sunday, May 20, 2007

Monorail in Soweto, SA

Q Anyone watch the Simpsons monorail episode? why would people use the monorail? they don't use the train to its full potential. I don't want to be negative but a monorail, that is so dumb. South Africans like cars, they don't want to walk, ride a bike or take public transport, it's not about getting from a to b, you know what it's about, anyone who can scrape up their pitons is gonna buy a car. Another dumbass thing is living like 30 km from your place of work, this is South Africa's favorite adventure, where's the sense in that? You see, when I walk to wherever I need to get, people think I am crazy. How are you gonna change that mentality? I think the monorail is just so someone can make money (yes, i am pointing out the blatantly obvious), but joe, why in the bleeding fock is it being allowed to go through?

A I think that we, especially the youth, are quick to make uninformed and critical but nonconstructive judgments with regards to all things that provide alternatives. The minute I heard the news of the monorail, I impulsively began to criticize the idea and its potential fruity. So, let's rather try to deconstruct that critical mentality by at least 1) recognizing that the SA public transport sh*tstem sucks tits, 2) starting to think up some combative ideas to curb this whack ass, non-service orientated taxi-travel bull dung, and 3)striving to be the 'world-class' city we profess to be.

Just tonight I was out in Newtown, without a car, and that mind-masturbating chip-chop session drove me to wishing I were in a different country, with subways and cheap cabs. There's no f**king way of getting home (whether it be in Soweto, Yeoville, or any varsity campus) if you decide to ditch a boring 40 buck Carfax gig (this place is WHACK)! Somebody's gotta do sum'ing 'bout this sh*t, guys.

Granted 1)..."the monorail is just so someone can make money", but you tell me what isn't??!! Let's act like we know, and move swiftly to the next thought cos that argument is so tired. 2)..."another dumb ass thing is living like 30 km from your place of work, this is South Africa's favorite adventure, where's the sense in that?". Your work should never dictate your social life. I ain't living in PTA any day soon bra...I'll keep traveling for the sake of my social life. 3)..."South Africans like cars, they don't want to walk, ride a bike or take public transport, it's not about getting from a to b, you know what it's about, anyone who can scrape up their pitons is gonna buy a car". I know exactly what that's all about, but you make your bed and lie in it. We all make choices, and those choices may be guided by our apartheid past, but that's no excuse to buy a brand new BMW 740i just cos Wesbank says you can afford it...whose to say, really! We blacks are often too quick to put blame on the past and too damn slow to own our future.

So all I'm saying, Ebe, is keep an open mind or come up with a better idea.

1 Comments:

Blogger liquid said...

hi!i'm liquid,i was wondering if we can contact each other more often & share some thoughts

2:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home